Oils are amazing. They can easily go from pantry staple to beauty product to household cleaner and everything in between. These are just some of the amazing uses of coconut oil.
1. Clean cast iron cookware: combine coconut oil with enough salt to make a paste. Rub into cast iron with a paper towel (or a rag but it will turn brown). Rinse and season.
2. Remove hardened grease from around stove: dip a warm, wet rag or scrubbing sponge into coconut oil and use it to scrub away caked on grease from around your stove.
3. Leather cleaner: dip a rag into coconut oil and use it to clean and condition leather.
4. Furniture polish: Forget expensive furniture polish – use a rag dipped in coconut oil to polish your wood furniture to a beautiful gloss.
5. Remove sticky label residue: Never be frustrated by sticky label residue again. Dip a rag into coconut oil and use it to remove sticky residue left behind by labels. Also works on fruit and vegetables!
6. Clean shower soap scum naturally: Use a rag dipped in hot water and coconut oil to remove soap scum from around your shower naturally and without any harsh chemical scents.
7. Non-dairy creamer for coffee, tea or even hot chocolate: A lot of people who can’t consume lactose still enjoy a creamy, frothy warm beverage. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to 1 cup of the beverage of your choice. Blend until frothy. Enjoy!
8. Oil pulling: Coconut oil makes an excellent oral health aid. Just Swish 1tbsp of coconut oil for twenty minute on an empty stomach for a healthier mouth. Rinse and brush as usual.
9. Hair frizz: Unlike silicone based hair care products meant to eliminate frizz, coconut oil eliminates frizz while making your hair healthier.
10. Oil cleansing face: It may seem counterintuitive but oil cleansing is very good for your skin, especially for those suffering from acne or other skin conditions like rosacea and psoriasis. It cleans pores and leaves your skin glowing without disrupting the natural moisture balance like a lot of conventional cleansers do.
11. Moisturize cuticles and nails: Moisturize dry cuticles and nails using coconut oil. It will reduce hangnails and nail brittleness.
12. Body scrub: Combine salt or sugar with coconut oil to make a paste. Keep in the shower and use it as an all natural body scrub whenever you need a polish.
13. Callous moisturizer: Use coconut oil to moisturize dry callouses. After a hot shower rub a generous amount of coconut oil onto feet and immediately put on cotton socks. By morning your feet will be noticeably softer.
14. Makeup remover: Forget chemical makeup removers! Coconut oil is perfect for removing either regular or waterproof makeup. Just dab a cotton ball into some coconut oil and use it to remove makeup. If it’s especially stubborn try combining warm water and coconut oil until the makeup softens and comes off.
15. Supplement your pet’s diet: Coconut oil is just as healthy for your pets as it is for you! The best part is that unlike normal supplements, most pets love the taste of coconut oil! it improves digestion and makes their coats healthy and shiny.
16. Shine up their coat: Use a towel dipped in coconut oil and rub itinto your pets coat for extra shine. You can follow with brushing. Bonus: it can treat yeast and fungal infections so if your dog is prone to getting those then this would be even more beneficial.
17. Deodorize a smelly dog: Coconut oil is an excellent deodorizer and will deodorize a smelly dog. Use a towel dipped in coconut oil to wipe away the unpleasant smell. Oftentimes smelly dogs have some sort of infection along with itchiness, coconut oil will also help with the infection while alleviating the itch.
18. Protect paw pads from winter salt: Winter can be especially harsh on pet’s paw pads not just from the cold, but also from the harsh salt all over roads and sidewalks. Rub some coconut oil onto your pet’s paws before heading out to protect them from the harsh effects of salt.
19. Insect repellant: Coconut oil makes an effective insect repellant when combined with one of the following essential oils:
- Tea Tree
20. Anti-itch: If you suffer from winter itch, coconut oil is one of the best moisturizers you could use to alleviate it. After a warm shower moisturize liberally with coconut il, focusing on the areas that are most itchy.
21. Personal lubricant: Coconut oil makes a delightful personal lubricant. Just be aware that it is not latex friendly and it of course won’t protect against STDs. Aside from that it’s a lot of fun.
22. All natural diaper and nipple cream: Coconut oil is a great natural alternative to drug store diaper and nipple cream. It soothes dryness and restores the moisture barrier.
Featured photo credit: healthyandhip.com